- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
Contact Lens Exams
If you're ready to move from eyeglasses to contact lenses, you'll spend more time than usual with our Naples ophthalmologists finding the right lenses for you. Dr. Rougraff and Dr. Byerly are dedicated to giving our patients the absolute best eye care, and fitting you with contact lenses is a more elaborate process than that for glasses. Both processes begin the same way, but a contact lens exam is just beginning when a traditional eye exam is finished.
Your Eyesight Evaluation
Like any eye examination, the first step is to find your corrective prescription. Our Naples ophthalmologists will determine whether you are nearsighted, farsighted, or suffer from astigmatism. They'll do this using a machine known as a phoropter. The doctor will have you look through the machine at a chart on the wall. By showing you pairs of lenses and allowing you to choose the better of each pair, our doctor can determine exactly the prescription you need to correct your eyesight to 20/20. Once the doctor discovers the extents of your eyesight deviation, he'll perform other tests to determine the general health of your eyes. By performing simple tests for glaucoma, cataracts, and diabetic retinopathy, our doctors can diagnose diseases long before your notice any symptoms, which allows them to treat you before you've suffered significant damage to your eyesight.
The Contact Lens Examination
Once your general eyesight details are known, Dr. Rougraff and Dr. Byerly will talk with you to determine the best type of contact lenses for your lifestyle. There are a number of different types of lenses available, including:
- Daily wear lenses, which are worn once, then thrown away. These are the most commonly worn type of contacts, and offer the best defense against eye infections.
- Extended wear lenses allow you to wear your contact lenses for many days in a row. You wear them 24/7, awake and asleep. Once their time limit has been reached, you throw them away and put in another pair.
- Rigid gas permeable contact lenses need to be taken out every day and cleaned using special cleaning solutions. While these are the most labor-intensive types of contact lens, they can offer the best chance of having perfect eyesight.
- Colored contact lenses allow you to enhance your natural eye color or even change your eye color completely.
Your work schedule, your hobbies, and even your sleeping habits will help the doctor to determine what type of contact lens is right for you. After you and the doctor decides on the type of lens you'll need, our doctor will measure the size of your eyes and the curve of your eyeballs. This ensures that the contact lens we have manufactured for you will fit your eyes perfectly without falling out.
Schedule A Contact Lens Exam In Naples, FL
If you're looking for an ophthalmologist in Naples, Florida, call Naples Eye Physicians at 239-262-6288. Our doctors will be happy to discuss your new contact lenses with you, and answer any questions you may have.