Causes And Treatments of Dry Eye
Dry eye is a common condition that can cause your eyes to become red and irritated and it sometimes impacts your vision. Patients with dry eye syndrome either don't produce enough tears or the tears they do produce aren't able to keep the eyes lubricated. An ophthalmologist at Naples Eye Physicians in Naples, Florida can diagnose a case of dry eye and prescribe medicated eye drops to alleviate discomfort.
What Causes Dry Eye?
There are five primary causes of dry eye:
- Aging -As we age our eyes simply produce fewer tears. Many patients 65 and older report some symptoms of dry eye.
- Gender-Women are more likely to have dry eye syndrome than men. This is because of hormone levels that change in different stages of life.
- Medications-Certain medications like antihistamines, blood pressure medications, decongestants, anti-depressants, and sleeping pills can cause dry eye.
- Medical Conditions-Certain medical conditions like thyroid difficulties, diabetes or rheumatoid arthritis can lead to dry eye syndrome.
- Environmental Factors-Patients who live in windy or dry climates or are exposed to cigarette smoke may find that their tears evaporate too quickly and that causes dry eye. Staring at a computer screen and not blinking for long periods of time can also cause dry eye.
How is Dry Eye Diagnosed?
An ophthalmologist will do a complete exam that factors in a patient's eye health as well as the patient's overall health and any medications that are taken. The exam will include observing blinking dynamics and the dimensions of the cornea.
How is Dry Eye Treated?
Your ophthalmologist can prescribe drops or ointments to correct the number of tears and help with discomfort.
Call Naples Eye Physicians Today!
If you are bothered by dry eye symptoms or it is simply time to have your eyes examined for optimal health, call Naples Eye Physicians in Naples, Florida and schedule an appointment today.